BANDAR SERI BEGAWAN, Jan. 13 (Xinhua) -- Brunei reported 47 new confirmed cases of COVID-19 on Thursday, bringing the total tally to 15,797.
According to Brunei's Ministry of Health, the newly recorded cases included 31 local infections and 16 imported cases.
Health Minister Haji Mohd Isham said earlier that the recent increases in COVID-19 cases reflected the results of contact tracing.
He said that the identified close contacts of positive cases were instructed to undergo swab tests and some tested positive.
Meanwhile, Brunei's Prime Minister's Office (PMO) announced on Thursday that the temporary suspension of cross-border activities between Brunei and Malaysia will be extended for 16 more days from Jan. 16 to 31.
The temporary ban on entry of foreign nationals via land and sea ports, including transits through Brunei, is extended by 16 more days until Jan. 31, except for entry and transit travels approved by the government.
As of Jan. 12, 94.6 percent of Brunei's population had received at least one dose of the COVID-19 vaccine, while 93.7 percent had completed their vaccination schedule of two doses and 31 percent had received a third dose.
A total of 309 active cases are currently being treated and monitored and 102 deaths due to the pandemic have been recorded in the Southeast Asian country.